Guess the default admin username for WordPress
WordPress sites are often abused by bruteforce login attacks where hackers are trying to find the correct admin login details(usernames and passwords) in order to break into the WordPress Dashboard and start hacking the site traffic, files and database.
One way to protect your WordPress site from these kinds of attacks is to change the default admin username to a random one. If you keep using the default admin username then you make things easier for bruteforce login attacks since they only have to find or guess the password part of the admin login details.
As most of the things added on top of the default WordPress setup there are two ways to change the admin default username. You can do it manually or you can use a plugin to do it for you. Below we’ll cover both ways for changing the default admin username for your WordPress installation.
How to change your admin username manually
- First, log in to your WordPress Dashboard using your default admin username and password.
- Create a new admin username. Make sure you use a random name and create a complex password.
- Log out and log in using your new admin login details.
- Delete the default admin username and make sure to attach any posts created by that user to your new admin account.
How to change your admin username using a plugin
If you don’t want to get your hands dirty for changing your WordPress admin username then you can use a plugin like Easy Username Updater by Yogesh C. Pant to simplify the process.
Follow the steps below to install, activate and use this plugin in order to rename your default admin usernames.
- Go to your WordPress Dashboard and search for Easy Username Updater plugin.
- Install and Activate it.
- Select the under the Username Update tool under Users sidebar menu.
- Select the Update option for the admin username you want to change.
- Set a new username and choose if you want to send a notification to this user for the username change.
- If you’re changing the username for the account you have logged in you will be automatically logged out of your WordPress Dashboard so enter your new login username and the existing password and login again.
If you want to simplify the login process and use a simpler login option then use your account email instead along with the password.
Don’t hesitate to comment below if you have any questions or need further information about changing your default WordPress admin username.